Change can be a difficult and long process. Influence is important to implementing change to vital behaviors in an organization. After first approaching the heart of those to be influenced a leader must tap into the social need to be accepted and heard. As a leader you must also offer a structured environment for success and constantly measure progress towards the goal and provide feedback and encouragement for all stakeholders involved. As an advisor to the college I offer these influence strategies to change specific vital behaviors, achieve goals and move the iPad Pro initiative forward.
Results we want to achieve
We would like to incorporate iPad Pro into 25% of all fine arts courses within 6 months. Leadership team will review updated syllabi and classroom activities to track progress. Faculty will survey students to measure effectiveness of new activities.
Faculty must immerse themselves in the use of iPad Pro in fine arts to learn how it can benefit their courses and enhance student engagement.
Faculty should work with influencers and students to provide enhanced lesson content that incorporates iPad Pro.
Leaders and Faculty influencers should hold faculty accountable for learning the features and benefits of iPad Pro and encourage integration into coursework.
College leaders including deans, department chairs and respected faculty thought leaders in the college that will help implement strategies and measure leading and lagging results.
Instructional technology administration and staff tasked with helping integrate technology into course assignments.
Information technology chief technology officer, mobile support staff and classroom management will help create and maintain the technical environment to support the plan.
|Personal||• Get faculty to identify with and agree to the why.|
• Share existing success stories that can motivate faculty to the possible.
• Ask faculty to discuss how their influence leads to student success.
|• Show usage examples for faculty to emulate.|
• Let Faculty practice with iPad Pro and ask for ideas and insights for lesson use
• Provide regular hands-on training and new experiences.
|Social||• Identify opinion leaders to serve as examples to faculty.|
• Provide a public measurement “Leader Board” to track progress towards the goal and create a competitive environment.
• Highlight faculty moving in the right direction on integrating iPad Pro.
|• Offer a feedback channel for faculty to express needs, issues and obstacles.|
• Provide coaching with Leaders and Instructional technology team to overcome obstacles.
• Provide a time for Faculty to share what they have learned on iPad Pro with colleagues.
|Structural||• Leaders show their commitment to the initiative by using iPad Pro in their own daily work.|
• Provide iPad Pro to students as soon as possible to gain feedback and show progress.
• Provide Innovation award to faculty who successfully integrate iPad Pro into lessons.
|• IT installs equipment that complements iPad Pro for instruction|
• Instructional Technology creates team focused on feedback and integration.
• Leadership commits to to providing financial support for iPad Pro environment.
Sinek, S. [TEDx Talks]. (2009, September 28). Start with why: How great leaders inspire action [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA&t=164s
Vital Smarts Video (2015, January 5). How to Change People Who Don’t Want to Change | The Behavioral Science Guys . Retrieved from https://youtu.be/9ACi-D5DI6A
Kotter, J. (2011, March 23). John Kotter – The Heart of Change . Retrieved from https://youtu.be/1NKti9MyAAw
Cross, J. [TEDxCSU]. (2013, March 20). Three Myths of Behavior Change: What You Think You Know That You Don’t . Retrieved from https://youtu.be/l5d8GW6GdR0
Grenny, J. [TEDxBYU]. (2013, April 26). Change Behavior- Change the World . Retrieved from https://youtu.be/6T9TYz5Uxl0
Grenny, J., Patterson, K., Maxfield, D., McMillan, R., & Switzler, A. (2013). Influencer: The new science of leading change. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
Vital Smarts Video (2009, September 21). All Washed Up! . Retrieved from https://youtu.be/osUwukXSd0k
Buchler, C. [vital Smarts Speakers]. (2012, December 17). Influencer | Cricket Buchler. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/wu7UBY5euBg
FranklinCovey (2012, April 19). Executive Overview of The 4 Disciplines of Execution . Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZR2Ixm0QQE
Return to overall Organizational Change Strategy